We work with many great educators. Interesting people with fascinating stories. This year, from time to time, we will turn the spotlight on one of our colleagues as a way of getting to know one another. This week, the lucky teacher is John Lee.
“Hi my name is John Lee”
- What grade do you teach and how long have you been with CAVA? I currently teach American Government and Economics, and AP American Government and AP Macroeconomics. This is my fifth year with CAVA.
- What is your background in education? In college, I started off as a computer science major, and after working for a year at Hewlett Packard, I decided that sitting in a cubicle and coding for 8 hours a day was not for me. I started tutoring at a local high school near my college, and found my calling as a teacher. I promptly switched my major to history and knew that I wanted to become a history teacher (but I still earned that minor in computer science! =) I am now rolling into my 11th year as a teacher.
- What is your favorite part about your job? The thing that I love most about my job is knowing that I am able to make a difference in my student’s lives, and actually see the impact that I have made. I recently was able to teach together with one of my former students. She was a student of mine when I was student teaching the 8th grade at O’Farrell Middle School. Then, after she graduated high school, college, and the credential program (9 years later!!!), we worked a summer program at San Diego State University, called Upward Bound. It is very rewarding know that she pursued teaching solely because of the influence that I had on her life.
- What are some of your hobbies? Anything, and everything! I love sports. I play softball, basketball, tennis, volleyball…basically any sport that involves a ball, a net, or physical activity. I love to snowboard. I have ridden all over the world (USA, Canada, South America, and Europe), but my dream destination to heli-snowboard is New Zealand. Hopefully, I will do that within the next two years.
- What’s your favorite movie and/or book and why? My favorite movie is Forrest Gump. I have seen it over 100 times and whenever it is on TV, I always flip to it to see which part it is on. The movie was revolutionary in terms of visual effects, and plot/character development. There’s a reason why it won 6 Academy Awards.
- If you were a character on TV why would you be and why? Easy, Superman. Adventures of Superman, Smallville, or Lois and Clark. He fights for truth and justice.
- Who do you think would make a good president? Why? (Celebrity or non) Neil deGrasse Tyson or Bill Nye. It’s science.
- What is the most beautiful place you’ve ever seen? A meteor shower on the white sand beach of Turks and Caicos.
- What is the ultimate dream vacation? Jumping out of a helicopter on top of a mountain in New Zealand.
- What are some of your educational goals? I plan to start a Ph.D. program in the next 5 years.
- What’s one thing you are most proud of? I am proud of each and every one of my students who struggle through my class and use the knowledge they acquire for their immediate future.